On an almost forgotten lot outside of Detroit, in a ‘cul de sac’ of sorts, sits the remnants of everything that represented “law and safety” to a very proud community. Three civil buildings once stood, a Fire Department Headquarters (featured below), the Municipal Building (pics) and a Police Station (demolished in 2012 and replaced with a brand new Fire Station in 2013).
The Fire Department Headquarters were constructed in 1917. In 2001 both the police department and municipal buildings were abandoned when the city turned over its operations to the state, due to lack of city finances necessary to maintain them. The Fire Department remained open for a few more years, until it was deemed uninhabitable in 2005. At that time, it was moved to a temporary warehouse location. In 2009 the city received a $2.7 FEMA grant (made available by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act) to be utilized for the construction of a new fire station facility. The new station was built on the grounds of the demolished police station, across the street, and opened on September 3rd, 2013.
The abandoned headquarters sits quietly, left to decay. Not much is left in the building…not even the super cool fire pole 😦 In mid 2011, a rear corner of the building began to collapse into a mound of bricks.